Monday, December 31, 2012

Kinda Bummed... My First Christmas As An Atheist

Last week was my first Christmas after becoming an atheist. I'm feeling a bit bummed now that the story of Jesus's birth is just a fairy tale to me now. I still put up the nativity scene this year, because my mom would be coming  over to our house, and it was a gift from her. I didn't want to have any red flags that I had since become an atheist.

For the past 30 years, there was nothing I wanted more than a deeper connection with God. I wanted nothing more than to be good so I could spend eternity in heaven.

I never wanted to be an atheist. Ever. I thought my husband and his family were hypocritical assholes for celebrating Christmas, but never Christ. They never went to church. My husband, in fact, is an atheist by default.

I actually stumbled upon atheism after doing some work trying to figure out how the bible started, and what my religion looked like before the Bible was created. I was trying to deeper my connection with God & religion.

Anyone else ever feel this way around Christmas? And advice?

1 comment:

  1. It might not be good advice, but simply stated: you get over it. You don't need to be a christian to celebrate Christmas. There's a saying I like, "Christmas has as much to do with Christ as Thursdays have to do with Thor". Most "Christmas" traditions were originally pagan anyway. It's really not a big deal, so try not to stress.

    There are a lot of us out there and it's growing every day.

    ReplyDelete